Friday 18 February 2011

How to transfer footage into editing using IMovie

After filming the footage I have created, I will edit it using the software available at school "IMovie".

It is a good program that will allow me to create many different effects and paste all the shots together with the music added over the top.


The program is really easy as it allows me to upload all my footage quickly. Then from this I added my music and could begin editing. All you have to do, is crop and select the bits of footage you want, and drag them into the empty project area that your song is currently in. When you play the video now, the music plays in the background of your clip. Also, because its a music video, so requires no original sound that came from the shots, you can mute the sound on the original clip.

Editing in time with the music was engaging in my opinion. The narrative perspective was quite difficult to fit into the music, as shots that I originally thought could fill 1-2 seconds very easily, were unclear as the clip quickly changed. I thought that it may be a little difficult for the audience so see what happened in that little 1 second clip, which could jepordise the success of the narrative.

I really loved the many editing features. For example the transititons help you move along the different clips more seamlessly and bring all the clips together. You can change the speed of the clips which I used for the car scene and the drinking scenes. This was important because these clips are designed to suit the music pace, which is very quick. (clips below)




Another good transitional effect is Vignette. This gives a partial view, which was very good for creating a realistic first person drunken scene (As below)




Finally, the black and white effect was valuable because it helped highlight the change in mood of the song and narrative. The heavy drinking/drunk scenes are highlighted in black and white, as if they arent reality, whereas, when the protagonist sorts his life out or is at equilibrium, we see clear lighting. (see below)

No comments:

Post a Comment